The Top 20 Best Stocks to Buy in 2020
Before we get to the stocks, let’s acknowledge that these lists are tough.
Choosing the best stocks to buy today depends so much on your individual financial situation. To get a good read on where you stand, read The Motley Fool How to Invest Guide. It walks you through topics like establishing an emergency fund, asset allocation, when it makes sense to buy stocks, etc.
Now, onto the 20 stock ideas. Here’s the entire list, followed by the summary buy thesis for each one.
- The Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF (NYSEMKT:VTI)
- The Vanguard Total International Stock ETF (NASDAQ:VXUS)
- Amazon.com (NASDAQ:AMZN)
- Alphabet (NASDAQ:GOOG)(NASDAQ:GOOGL)
- Facebook (NASDAQ:FB)
- Intuitive Surgical (NASDAQ:ISRG)
- Axon Enterprises (NASDAQ:AAXN)
- AT&T (NYSE:T)
- Verizon Communications (NYSE:VZ)
- Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F)
- General Motors Company (NYSE:GM)
- ONEOK (NYSE:OKE)
- TerraForm Power (NASDAQ:TERP)
- Brookfield Infrastructure Partners L.P. (NYSE:BIP)
- CareTrust REIT (NASDAQ:CTRE)
- iRobot (NASDAQ:IRBT)
- lululemon athletica (NASDAQ:LULU)
- Wayfair (NYSE:W)
- Netflix (NASDAQ:NFLX)
- Constellation Brands (NYSE:STZ)
The first two are a bit of a cheat because they’re actually exchange-traded funds (ETFs). ETFs allow you broad exposure to a basket of stocks, and these two are some of the best low-cost index funds around:
- US Stocks: The Vanguard Total Stock Market ETF
- Foreign Stocks: The Vanguard Total International Stock ETF
The first ETF (VTI) gives you exposure to basically the entire U.S. stock market by investing in over 4,000 stocks. The second ETF (VXUS) fills in the rest of the world with exposure to over 6,000 global stocks outside the U.S. (the top six countries represented, in order, are Japan, the UK, Canada, France, Germany, and China).
Some combination of these two is an excellent foundation for the equity portion of just about anyone’s portfolio. They allow you to match the performance of the U.S. and international stock markets (less some extremely low fees). And for those who don’t have the time or inclination to pick individual stocks, it could be your entire stock portfolio.
But since you clicked on our headline, you’re probably looking for some individual stock ideas in your quest to beat the market, too.